While the operations and location have evolved in the past 145 years, the mission has essentially remained the same since 1872, FPCC and its predecessor organizations exist to ease the suffering of those struggling with life’s basic needs in the near south side of Indianapolis. Initially located within the Fletcher Place Methodist Episcopal Church, built on land donated by FPCC’s namesake, Calvin Fletcher, FPCC served poor German, Italian, and Irish immigrants that had recently relocated to the south side of Indianapolis. In 1961, through sponsorship by the Methodist Church City Council and Church Extension Society of Indianapolis, FPCC first incorporated to establish a neighborhood house to carry on its mission. The closing of the Fletcher Place Methodist Episcopal Church in 1970 forced services to relocate to 410 S. College Avenue. In 2004, after a complete renovation and in an effort to be closer to the community FPCC served, the Board of Directors moved FPCC to its current building location at the corner of Prospect and State Street, just east of the Fountain Square historical district.
Taking care of the community is something everyone can do. Work with us to help families who are coping with difficult times. From Christmas help to a free store, we work all year to support families throughout the community. Contact us for more details.
With roots in the United Methodist Church, in 1872, Fletcher Place Community Center was started as a small outreach in the South side of downtown Indianapolis.